Database Systems: An Application-Oriented Approach, Introductory Version, 2/e
- 10 Digit ISBN:8131703746
- Imprint:Pearson Education
Designed for students learning databases for the first time, Database Systems: An Application-Oriented Approach, Introductory Version, 2/e,, presents the principles underlying the design and implementation of databases and their applications. This book consists of nine core chapters, including separate chapters on triggers (Chapter 7) and using SQL in an application (Chapter 8) that recognize the growing importance of application development in building database systems. Additional chapters (Chapters 11-17) cover database tuning, transaction processing, query processing, object-oriented databases, and XML databases and provide a variety of ways to enrich students' introduction to databases.
Table of Content
- Overview of Databases and Transactions.
- The Big Picture.
- DATABASE MANAGEMENT.
- The Relational Data Model.
- Conceptual Modeling of Databses with Entity-Relationship Diagrams and the Unified Modeling Language.
- Relational Algebra and SQL.
- Database Design with The Relational Normalization Theory.
- Triggers and Active Databases.
- Using SQL in an Application.
- OPTIMIZING DBMS PERFORMANCE AND TRANSACTION PROCESSING.
- Physical Data Organization and Indexing.
- The Basics of Query Processing.
- An Overview of Query Optimization.
- Database Tuning.
- An Overview of Transaction Processing.
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING ISSUES AND DOCUMENTATION.
- Case Study: Starting the Student Registration System.
- Case Study: Completing the Student Registration System.
- ADVANCED TOPICS IN DATABASES.
- Introduction to Object Databases.
- Introduction to XML and Web Data.
- An application-oriented introduction to database concepts
- SQL updated to the latest standard
- Coverage of both Entity-Relationship modeling and the Unified Modeling Language
- Discussions of software-engineering issues related to implementing transaction-processing applications
- Detailed case studies providing hands-on experience in application design and programming
- In-depth coverage of XML, object-oriented databases, and database tuning