Basic Communication Skills for Technology
Andrea J. Rutherfoord
- 10 Digit ISBN:8177584073
- Imprint:Pearson Education
This book provides practical applications of writing in vocational/technical fields, Presenting clear, simplified explanations of key concepts and skills in written communication, Rutherfoord's guide covers the writing process in a systems approach that integrates reading, planning, writing, and revising.
Table of Content
PART 1 Foundation
PART 2 Writing Elements
- Language and Style
PART 3 Forms of Technical Communication
- Technical Definitions
- Technical Descriptions
- Comparison and Contrast
- Technical Reports
- Forms, Memos, and E-mail
- Business Letters
- The Job Search: Resumes and Letters
- Fourteen technical reading passages that introduce or demonstrate each writing topic.
- Integration of reading, writing, spelling, word usage, and vocabulary exercises and assignments within each chapter.
- Complete and independent grammar and mechanics units for flexible planning and individualized study.
- Exercises and models using common technical vocabulary and concepts.
- Explanations of concepts in language that is easy to understand and apply.
- This book is designed to help readers gain a working knowledge of all the major skills for career-related communication, including e-mail, graphics, reports, business correspondence, presentations, job interviews, and resumes.
- Updated reading passages to reflect current communication needs and practices.
- Updated writing topics to reflect current trends in writing, including the use of e-mail, desktop publishing, and the Internet.
- Updated chapter on report-writing (with sample reports) that introduces three common business/technical documents: the descriptive report, lab report, and proposal.
- New assignments that require use of the Internet for research and communication.
- New chapter on public speaking that introduces the basic techniques for preparing and delivering professional presentations and interviews.
- New chapter on the job search that focuses on the electronic job search, preparation of traditional and electronic resumes, cover letters, and thank-you letters.