- 10 Digit ISBN:8177588214
- Imprint:Pearson Education
Product Design presents an in-depth study of structured design processes and methods. Its fundamental approach is that of reverse engineering and teardowns, which present a new paradigm for design instruction. This permits a modern learning cycle of experience, hypothesis, understanding, and then execution. Otto and wood bring students concrete experiences with hands-on products, applications of contemporary technologies, and much more.
Table of Content
- Journeys in Product Development.
- Product Development Process Tools.
- Scoping Product Developments: Technical and Business Concerns.
- Understanding Customer Needs.
- Establishing Product Function.
- Product Teardown and Experimentation.
- Benchmarking and Establishing Engineering Specifications.
- Product Portfolios and Portfolio Architecture.
- Product Architecture.
- Generating Concepts.
- Concept Selection.
- Concept Embodiment.
- Modeling of Product Metrics.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly.
- Design for the Environment.
- Analytical and Numerical Model Solutions.
- Physical Prototypes.
- Physical Models and Experimentation.
- Design for Robustness.
- Fundamental approach—A systematic and methods-based strategy to product development.
- Students see good design before they attempt design.
- Concrete experiences with hands-on products.
- Application of modern technologies.
- Studies of systematic experimentation.
- Exploration of the boundaries of design methodology.
- Decision making for real product development.
- Discusses foundation material of product design, including a philosophy for learning and implementing product design.
- Each chapter includes both basic and advanced techniques for particular phases of product development.
- Presents theory and concrete examples of emerging design techniques and principles.