The Longman Elementary Dictionary is a new type of dictionary intended to help students learn English more effectively. The dictionary contains 2000 important English words which a student needs from the start. English language teaching books have been analysed to ensure that all the most useful English words have been included in the dictionary. A completely new principle has been used in the Longman Elementary Dictionary. The most basic words - those which a student learns first - are defined simply by the use of a clear explanatory example, usually with a picture. This technique shows the use of the word in an easily accessible way, and will be of great benefit to beginners.
There are many ways in which the Longman Elementary Dictionary helps students:
1. All the definitions and examples are written in very simple language, so that even students working on their own can understand them.
2. The examples show how English words are used, and so give the students an indication of how to construct natural English sentences.
3. The illustrations are clear and attractive. They will help the students understand and remember what the word means and the context in which it is used.
4. The pictures refer directly to the examples, so that the example and the picture together make the meaning as clear as possible.
Difficult plurals and verb parts are shown in full, so students will learn about the grammar of words as well as learning what they mean.
1. Easy-to-understand definitions
2. Helpful example sentences which refer directly to the pictures - they reinforce each other
3. Hundreds of lively colourful illustrations
4. Difficult plurals and verb parts are shown in full
5. Table of irregular verbs