Fundamentals of Signals and Systems Using the Web and MATLAB
This new edition delivers an accessible yet comprehensive analytical introduction to continuous-time and discrete-time signals and systems. It also incorporates a strong emphasis on solving problems and exploring concepts, using demos, downloaded data, and MATLAB® to demonstrate solutions for a wide range of problems in engineering and other fields such as financial data analysis. Its flexible structure adapts easily for courses taught by semester or by quarter.
Table of Content
1. Fundamental Concepts
2. Time-Domain Models Of Systems
3. The Fourier Series And Fourier Transform
4. Fourier Analysis Of Discrete-Time Signals
5. Fourier Analysis Of Systems
6. The Laplace Transform And The Transfer Function Representation
7. The Z-Transform And Discrete-Time Systems
8. Analysis Of Continuous-Time Systems Using The Transfer Function Representation
9. Application To Control
10. Design Of Digital Filters And Controllers
11. State Representation
Appendix B: Brief Review Of Matrices
- Use of MATLAB (Version 7.0) to generate computer implementations of the techniques for signal and system analysis and design - Gives students the opportunity to verify theories and experiment with applications of the techniques studied.
- Wide range of examples and problems on different areas in engineering - Touches on areas from electrical circuits and mechanical systems to electromechanical devices, such as a dc motor.
- Chapters on feedback control, digital filtering, and state representation - Prepare students for senior electives in these topics.
- Time-domain aspects of signals and systems (Chs. 1 and 2) - Discusses the basic properties of signals and systems, the discrete-time convolution model, the input/output difference equation model, the input/output differential equation model, and the continuous-time convolution model.
- Frequency-domain aspects of signals and systems - Begins with signals that are a sum of sinusoids, then addresses the Fourier series representation of periodic signals, the Fourier transform of nonperiodic signals, and the use of the Fourier transform in the study of signal modulation.
- Fourier analysis of discrete-time signals - Focuses on the discrete-time Fourier transform (DTFT) and the discrete Fourier transform (DFT).
- Fourier theory applied to the study of both continuous-time and discrete-time systems - Reviews applications to ideal analog filtering, sampling, signal reconstruction, and digital filtering.
- Study of the Laplace transform - Begins with the definition and properties, as well the transfer function representation of linear time-invariant continuous-time systems.
- Introduction of the z-transform and the transfer function representation of linear time-invariant discrete-time systems - Completes the discussion of the frequency response function first considered in Chapter 5.
- Analysis of linear time-invariant continuous-time systems - Uses the transfer function representation to carry out this analysis.