Training in Interpersonal Skills: TIPS for Managing People at Work, 6/e
By developing and practicing the material in Training in Interpersonal Skills, students can learn how to build productive relationships for any situation. This text also helps students master the skills necessary for personal and organizational effectiveness such as self-management, communication, teaming, and problem solving.
The sixth edition includes several new pedagogical tools-such as self-assessment quizzes, exercises, cases, etc.-and information on the importance and usage of social networking.
Table of Content
Part I: Self-Awareness
Chapter 1. Skills: An Introduction
Chapter 2. Self-Awareness: A Point of Departure
Chapter 3. Self-Management: Clarifying Values, Setting Goals, and Planning
Chapter 4. Applying Emotional Intelligence
Part II: Communicating
Chapter 5. Sending Interpersonal Messages
Chapter 6. Listening and Reading Nonverbal Messages
Chapter 7. Providing Feedback
Chapter 8. Communicating Across Cultures
Part III: Motivating
Chapter 9. Goal Setting
Chapter 10. Coaching, Counseling, and Mentoring
Chapter 11. Empowering People Through Delegation
Part IV: Leading
Chapter 12. Politicking
Chapter 13. Applying Leadership Style
Chapter 14. Managing Change
Part V: Teaming
Chapter 15. Facilitating Teamwork
Chapter 16. Valuing Diversity
Part VI: Problem Solving
Chapter 17. Ethical Decision Making
Chapter 18. Creative Problem Solving
Chapter 19. Resolving Conflicts
Chapter 20. Persuading
Chapter 21. Negotiating
• Get students engaged in the material: Pedagogical Tools. Role-plays, cases, self-assessments, and exercises have been added to this edition. Specific examples of the tools found in this edition include:
• New! Self-Assessment Questionnaires. By taking these questionnaires students will discover if they have:
o Locus of control
o Type A personality
o Passive/assertive/aggressive behavior
• New! Managers Application Tips boxes have been added to describe the results from each of the self-assessment questions.
• The Behavior Skills Learning Model. Each chapter in Training in Interpersonal Skills is organized around the social learning model, which has been proven to be a successful pedagogical aid.
• NEW! Provide the latest information: New Topics. The importance and usage of social networking, impression management, persuasion tactics of social proof, and ingratiation, group process loss, and facilitating stages of team development have been added to this edition.