Microbiology: A Laboratory Manual, 10/e
Versatile, comprehensive, and clearly written, this competitively priced laboratory manual can be used with any undergraduate microbiology text-and now features brief clinical applications for each experiment, MasteringMicrobiology®quizzes that correspond to each experiment, and a new experiment on hand washing. Microbiology: A Laboratory Manual is known for its thorough coverage, descriptive and straightforward procedures, and minimal equipment requirements. A broad range of experiments helps to convey basic principles and techniques. Each experiment includes an overview, an in-depth discussion of the principle involved, easy-to-follow procedures, and lab reports with review and critical thinking questions. Ample introductory material and laboratory safety instructions are provided.
Table of Content
Part 1: Basic Laboratory Techniques for Isolation, Cultivation, and Cultural Characterization of Microorganism
Part 2: Microscopy
Part 3: Bacterial Staining
Part 4: Cultivation of Microorganisms: Nutritional and Physical Requirements, and Enumeration of Microbial Poulations
Part 5: Biochemical Activities of Microorganisms
Part 6: The Protozoa
Part 7: The Fungi
Part 8: The Viruses
Part 9: Physical and Chemical Agents for the Control of Microbial Growth
Part 10: Microbiology of Food
Part 11: Microbiology of Water
Part 12: Microbiology of Soil
Part 13: Bacterial Genetics
Part 14: Biotechnology
Part 15: Medical Microbiology
Part 16: Immunology
• Comprehensive coverage of the core microbiology topics includes experiments in the areas of genetics, immunology, and biotechnology.
• A wide range of experiments progressing from simple to complex enable instructors to tailor their laboratory classes to the topics they wish to cover.
• Experiments use the most common and affordable laboratory materials, designed to accommodate any lab.
• Over 90 photographs in full color and numerous illustrations appear directly alongside the experiments, helping students visualize techniques and expected results.
• Spiral binding makes student-use easier and minimizes space on a lab bench.
• A detailed introductory section on basic lab techniques and safety thoroughly prepares students for lab work during the semester.
• "Caution" icons alert users to experiments that pose a potential risk.
• Six appendices cover the topics of Scientific Notification, Methods for Preparation of Dilutions, Microbiological Media, Biochemical Test Reagents, Staining Reagents, and Experimental Microorganisms.
• A Guide to Serial Dilutions is printed on the inside back cover for students' quick reference in completing exercises.
• Art demonstrating lab procedures appears consistently in a special box design that distinguishes it from other art, and catches the student's eye.
• A bold and modern four-color design adds distinction to each individual element, and allows for easier navigation within each experiment.