Charles T. Horngren
- 10 Digit ISBN:933254221X
- Imprint:Pearson Education
The text that defined the cost accounting market.
Horngren's Cost Accounting, defined the cost accounting market and continues to innovate today by consistently integrating the most current practice and theory into the text. This acclaimed, market-leading text emphasizes the basic theme of "different costs for different purposes," and reaches beyond cost accounting procedures to consider concepts, analyses, and management. This edition incorporates the latest research and most up-to-date thinking into all relevant chapters and more MyAccountingLab® coverage!
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program presents a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. Cost Accounting, Fifteenth Edition will:
Use the most current information to prepare students for their field: Up-date material gives students a better understanding of the current issues effecting the business environment.
Provide a solid presentation of accounting hallmarks with a great emphasis on strategy: Students learn key concepts with a focus on strategy that integrates modern topics with traditional coverage and teaches them how to handle the rapid pace of change in today's organizations.
Tailor the material to suit your needs: This text's modular, flexible organization can be used to suit a number of different approaches to teaching and learning.
Table of Content
1. The Manager and Management Accounting
2. An Introduction to Cost Terms and Purposes
3. Cost—Volume—Profit Analysis
4. Job Costing
5. Activity-Based Costing and Activity-Based Management
6. Master Budget and Responsibility Accounting
7. Flexible Budgets, Direct-Cost Variances, and Management Control
8. Flexible Budgets, Overhead Cost Variances, and Management Control
9. Inventory Costing and Capacity Analysis
10. Determining How Costs Behave
11. Decision Making and Relevant Information
12. Strategy, Balanced Scorecard, and Strategic Profitability Analysis
13. Pricing Decisions and Cost Management
14. Cost Allocation, Customer-Profitability Analysis, and Sales-Variance Analysis
15. Allocation of Support-Department Costs, Common Costs, and Revenues
16. Cost Allocation: Joint Products and Byproducts
17. Process Costing
18. Spoilage, Rework, and Scrap
19. Balanced Scorecard: Quality and Time
20. Inventory Management, Just-in-Time, and Simplified Costing Methods
21. Capital Budgeting and Cost Analysis
22. Management Control Systems, Transfer Pricing, and Multinational Considerations
23. Performance Measurement, Compensation, and Multinational Considerations
A sharper focus on how companies are simplifying their costing systems with the presentation of value streams and lean accounting.
Provide a solid presentation of accounting hallmarks with a great emphasis on strategy
Features of the text give students a clear picture of accounting:
Exceptionally strong emphasis on managerial uses of cost information.
Clarity and understandability of the text.
Excellent balance in integrating modern topics with traditional coverage.
Emphasis on human behavior aspects.
Extensive use of real-world examples.
Ability to teach chapters in different sequences.
Excellent quantity, quality, and range of assignment material.
Strategy maps are presented as a useful tool to implement the balanced scorecard and a simplified presentation of how income statements of companies can be analyzed from the strategic perspective of product differentiation or cost leadership.
Strategy considerations in the design of activity-based costing systems are covered.
The strategy of preparation of budgets is included.
The strategy involved in decision-making is comprehensively covered.
Opening Vignettes. Each chapter opens with a vignette on a real company situation. The vignettes get students engaged in a business situation, or dilemma, illustrating why and how the concepts in the chapter are relevant in business.
Concepts in Action Boxes. Found in every chapter, these boxes cover real-world cost accounting issues across a variety of industries including automobile racing, defense contracting, entertainment, manufacturing, and retailing.
Streamlined Presentation. The authors continue to simplify and streamline the presentation of various topics in order to make it as easy as possible for a student to learn the concepts, tools, and frameworks introduced in different chapters.
Tailor the material to suit your needs
This text's modular, flexible organization can be used to suit a number of different approaches to teaching and learning.