Traffic Engineering, 5th Edition focuses on the key engineering skills required to practice traffic engineering. It presents both fundamental theory and a broad range of its applications to solve modern problems and gives students an understanding of and appreciation for planning, design, management, construction, operation, control, and system optimization. It also includes the latest in industry standards and criteria, new material and updates to existing material, and new homework problems.
Table of Content
"I. Basic Concepts and Characteristics
2. Transportation Modes and Characteristics
3. Road-User, Vehicle, and Roadway Characteristics
4. Communicating with Drivers: Traffic Control Devices
5. Traffic Stream Characteristics
6. The Concepts of Demand, Volume, and Capacity
7. Level of Service and the Highway Capacity Manual: History and Fundamental Concepts
8. Intelligent Transportation Systems
II. Traffic Studies and Programs
9. Traffic Data Collection and Reduction Methodologies
10. Traffic Volume Studies and Characteristics
11. Speed, Travel Time, and Delay Studies
12. Highway Traffic Safety: An Overview
13. Parking: Characteristics, Studies, Programs, and Design
14. Traffic Impact Studies and Analyses
III. Interrupted Flow Facilities: Design, Control, and Level of Service
15. The Hierarchy of Intersection Control
16. Traffic Signal Hardware
17. Fundamentals of Intersection Design and Layout
18. Principles of Intersection Signalization
19. Fundamentals of Signal Timing and Design: Pre-timed Signals
20. Fundamentals of Signal Timing and Design: Actuated Signals
21. Signal Coordination for Arterials and Networks
22. Capacity and Level of Service Analysis: Signalized Intersections–The HCM Method
23. Planning-Level Analysis of Signalized Intersections
24. Urban Streets and Arterials: Complete Streets and Levels of Service
25. Unsignalized Intersections and Roundabouts
26. Interchanges and Alternative Intersections
IV. Uninterrupted Flow Facilities: Design, Control, and Level of Service
27. An Overview of Geometric Design of Roadways
28. Capacity and Level of Service Analysis: Basic Freeway and Multilane Highway Segments
29. Capacity and Level of Service Analysis: Weaving Segments on Freeways and Multilane Highways
30. Capacity and Level of Service Analysis: Merge and Diverge Segments on Freeways and Multilane Highways
31. Operation and Analysis of Freeways and Highways"
1. New! Latest standards and criteria
2. New! Content on unsignalized intersections, roundabouts, alternative intersections, interchanges, operation and analysis of facilities, and more.
3. Updated and extended content on signalized intersections, signal design and timing, and signal hardware is included
4. New! Supporting material on statistical analyses
5. An emphasis on modern data collection tools and methodologies provides a clear and accessible framework for learning
6. New - More than half of the homework problems for most chapters are new to this edition.
7. The text is organized into four major functional parts and presented in an accessible format, giving students a clear and logical framework to learn the concepts.
8. Numerous sample problems and illustrations demonstrate the procedures and methodologies as they are used in practice.
9. Important computer programs demonstrate solutions throughout the text."